THE VILULA TEA GARDEN

...it was a little tea room in my memories...ladies wearing white gloves and pretty hats; soft and mended old linens on the tables; and heirloom roses in crystal vases....lovely.

June 1, 2011

Tornado at the RexView Drive-In


This is my Mother's account of a tornado that happened on April 18th 1953 in Columbus, Ga. It destroyed the RexView Drive-In in town. “This was the only time I ever saw my husband, Bill, pace back and forth from the front of the house to the back. The wind and rain was going straight across instead of up and down. I sat on the couch holding Debbie and had Paula on the other side of me. After it was over with we could not get through to my sister, Johnnie, and her family to see how they were because the phones were down. The direct hit was in the northern part of the city and most of the damage was in North Highlands, if I remember correctly. The main thing that I thought about after this happened was how we all piled into the car with our ice tea and popcorn (popped at home) and lit out for the Rex View and all got in for a dollar. I remember you had to be a certain age and since Barbara was tall she always sat crunched up in the back seat with Paula & Debbie giggling. We did enjoy it and it is interesting what a great time we all could have with that dollar! Sometimes we had a little extra and you all could go to the concession stand and get a piece of candy for each of you. Incidentally, that Sunday was my and Bill's anniversary.

http://www.columbusgeorgiaonline.com/drive_in_chapter1.htm


No comments:

Post a Comment

Linky

Roxy

Roxy

Blogs I love to visit!

My Flickr

www.flickr.com
nursdurkin's items Go to nursdurkin's photostream

The apron I made for theFlirty/Sassy Swap!