April 30, 2009
Cilantro - my favorite herb!!!
I absolutely ADORE cilantro!!! Here are a couple of my favorite recipes with cilantro...but, remember, be careful when buying cilantro. There are two kinds and the more common one looks just like Italian flat-leaf parsley...although parsley is good, it is NOT and DOES NOT taste like cilantro! Cilantro has a very distintive taste...so good!
Cilantro, Corn and Black Bean Salad
• 1/2 cup olive oil
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon pepper
• 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
• 1 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels cut off the cob (and scrape cob to get small bits and put in bowl)
• 1 avocado - peeled, pitted and diced
• 1 red bell pepper, chopped
• 2 tomatoes, chopped
• 6 green onions, thinly sliced
• 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
• 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
Mix all together in large bowl – refrigerate for at least two hours before serving…so good!
White Bean Tuna Salad
• 1 (6 ounce) can tuna, drained and flaked
• 1/2 small red bell pepper
• 6 scallions or green onions, chopped
• 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
• 2 tablespoons capers
• 1 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1/2 (15 ounce) can white beans, drained
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
• 1 box of bow-tie pasta, cooked, cooled and drained
• Newman’s Own Three Cheese Balsamic dressing, to moisten and to taste…
I put all the ingredients in a big bowl and mix together…then I serve on a bed of romaine lettuce and ripe tomato wedges.
Since I have to take my lunch everyday...these travel well and are great for lunch at my desk...I like to add Fiber One whole wheat or garlic crackers to nibble on along with these salads...if you have any favorites of your own...let me know and I will post them; with credit to YOU, of course!